Friday, August 1, 2008

NAME National Convention at Nashua 2008 (part 1 of 4)

This year’s annual business meeting was held at Nashua, New Hampshire with the theme of “Castles and Cottages”. The event was held at the Radisson Hotel, which is modeled after a castle, except they have running water, air conditioning and electricity.
Sunday July 20th.
Caught a direct flight from Portland Oregon to Boston, Mass. Just as we landed (around 3:30pm) the sky broke open with a flood of rain & window shaking thunder. We were some of the fortunate few who didn’t get delayed by the weather. We did have to wait a few hours for another friend to fly in (was stuck on the tarmac in Philly); we rented a van, filled it with our luggage and drove to Nashua, New Hampshire.
Monday July 21st thru Tuesday July 22nd.
I attended my first board meetings; two full days (even into the evening) of brainstorming and goal setting with the other board members. This was a new side of NAME that I had not participated in before. I was impressed with the amount of teamwork and input from all of the members that keep NAME alive and strong.










Wednesday July 22nd.
I took a pre-convention workshop with Carl Bronsdon, “Feast for Castle or Cottage”. We made 1” scale food out of fimo clay, I am a repeat student, and this is my third class with Carl. His food is beautiful and he has a knack of presentation. I actually like what I made when I finished (some of us are Fimo-challenged)- it looks good and it doesn’t go to my hips. Table-mate: Barbara Wilbur, Charlton, Ma.

Later that evening, over 160 people were ferried over to the Searle’s Castle for our annual Patron Party. The place was fantastic- it is full of wood work and carvings that are no longer seen in our current home construction. Although it was very warm inside, and very, very wet outside- some people were dressed in full period costumes. I am including pictures of “Mother Inferior” (her own title) and Sally Manwell- who took the pages out of “Gone with the Wind” and made her costume from curtains.

There were silent auctions of miniature items and also “honorary” royal positions. I bid on and won-”The Jester”. It was a natural fit. The food was served by waiters walking around and offering goodies from a tray. There was an abundance of laughter, smiles and friends. That too was a natural fit….

No comments: