Saturday, June 14, 2008

Seeds of my 1st Art Doll




I was shopping at one of my favorite thrift stores, Goodwill. I found this large item that is used to BarBQ fish (2 1/2 feet high by 7" at it's widest).




Instantly I thought- coool shape for a doll. So I placed it in my cart and snagged the yellow votive candle holder (makes a good hat don't you think??), bought it and brought it home.

Now for the fun part: what am I going to make out of it, so I put my idea seeds on simmer in my brain. So far this is my list of ideas (don't worry it will change- in fact I wouldn't be surprised if the end result is completely different from my first ideas).
-place doll head on top (I collect doll heads, bodies are optional).
-make a head out of a square block, round ball, paper clay, transfer picture of face.

-hair- use this nifty beads (I found at Shipwreck Beads in Lacy Washington- huge huge store) they are cylinderical in shape and covered in hemp- interspace them with these large round beads covered with colorful weaving.

-body: leave as is and hang tags and color sample swatches all around for clothing. The tags will have important words or qoutes on it.

-arms??? not sure may use these wood pieces from a game and piece them together.

So far- possible theme of doll:
-heritage (Ukrainian)
-Mary Engelbreit inspired (checks- love checks)
-or make this my muse- my inspiration for being happy and creative....

Adding miniature component to it too!! I have ordered some cool junk pieces from NavelJellystudios.com (in my favorite link section). Lots of 1" scale teapots and containers, I also ordered alot of her transparencies so I hope to use them on my tags.

I also visualize adding 1/4" furniture (hanging along with everything else).
Oh did I say this would be a simple, neutral doll???? NOT!!!! It will be like everything else I love- blazing with color, dizzying with details and tons and tons of texture.
In summary- this doll will be a compulation of altered art, assemblage art, journaling, miniatures, embellishments and who knows what else---- nothing is out of bounds.
Now- I must continue with my creative simmering and gathering of inspirational items that may be used. Check back- perhaps it will look at bit more finished the next time you peek.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see your doll take shape! I love your ideas! You inspire me to look at the world a little differently! If I would have seen the fish BBQer at Goodwill, I would have passed it up! When I saw the picture on the blog--I immediately thought,"Yes! A doll body"! The idea of making something from nothing or something meaningful from something discarded by someone else fascinates me!

Dave Robertson said...

Cylindrical hemp-covered beads...I don't think Rings & Things has these...could you post a pic?? I'm very curious, they sound amazing!

--Dave
(at Rings and Things)